Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Relief

Listening to my heart breathing
Closing my eyes to the chaos within
Burning bridges in my wake
Trying hard not to anticipate what may
Restraining thoughts so strong
Pulling, pushing, screaming to be free
Something feels out of place
The memory of your face is gone
Staring at the phone
Resisting the urge to call
Standing with my back against the wall
The seasons change
And before you know it we're back where we last left off
Dusting old memories, rummaging through records spent
Counting the times I played the fool
Counting the times I took my heart off me sleeve
And gave it to a man in disbelief
Laughing for no particular reason
Other than being alive in this present moment
As bad as I thought things were
I always had my friends to turn to
Reaching for the door the telephone rings
The sirens start to sing
Listening to my heart breathing
I breathe a sigh of relief.

Poet: Skyy Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment